Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sunny with a chance of scattered thoughts.

I've been in Tokyo for about 24 hours now, but it feels like so much has happened since I left home that I can't quite believe it hasn't been longer...as I sit here trying to sum up the day, all these images keep flashing past my eyes. I've been having all these great ideas for posts all day, but jet-lag leaves me with only the ability to string together streams-of-consciousness for now.

Saying goodbye to the condo for good...riding the Skytrain to the airport with Maman...the moment when the plane started taxiing and the full joy of the trip hit me so that I was craning over to see the ground falling away from the window, grinning like an idiot...

...and more of that same grin as we crossed the international date line, hovered along the coast of Honshu, and finally landed at Narita...as I bit into my first onigiri of the trip...as the narrow backstreets of Tokyo started showing up from the trainline...

My enthusiasm was checked a little bit by lugging bags about and having to relearn how to use the ticket machines for the train and subway, but getting lost on the way to the hotel was par for the course (I'm planning on writing a whole post on Japanese addresses) - it gave me a chance to wander around the narrow residential streets with their container gardens (fruit trees! edamame!)

Today was a brilliant blue warm sunny cool-breezy autumn day, which I needed to spend on foot, starting from the hotel and just wandering around. Tomorrow I've decided instead to get a public transit pass and ride around covering as much of the city as I can...and then Tuesday will have to be a combination of them both. Wednesday I head north!

1 comment:

klimt chick said...

Ah! Is there anything more wonderful than an aimless ramble in a beautiful city? I hope the little wombat is enjoying the sites too! XOXO ta maman