Friday, November 13, 2009

Mata ne!

And so, after a fabulous month-and-a-bit in Japan, it was time to depart. Most reluctantly. I was fighting a bitter inner war with myself about whether I should live in Kyoto or Tokyo when I come back to Japan (or go apprentice myself as a farmer in Fukushima, of course) and it seemed inappropriate to decamp without fighting the decisive battle! However, I will be back in about five months, so it's "mata ne" instead of "sayonara"!

I had a few last days in Tokyo to spend time on important issues like catching up on neglected soba-eating, as well as day trips to Nikko and Kamakura. I also found time to return to the excellent cafe operated out of this tiny van parked just off Omotesando, one of Tokyo's ritziest shopping streets. (Photo taken on my visit in early October. Please note the plants set out around the van. For anyone in Tokyo, to find the cafe head down Omotesando away from Meiji-jingu for a few blocks, and it will be in an alley on your left, just past that really fancy odd-shaped department store, tucked away behind Morgan de moi, and its hours are 10 to 6 I think).

Those who know how I love to be a regular will understand how much the following meant to me. When I went to get my latte, the owner (or at least the same woman who I've always seen working there) handed me a stamp card. Then she took it back and added a stamp saying, "for last time". Last time was a whole month ago, but she remembered me! I felt sad to not be able to fill out the stamp card until March - but it was a nice send-off from my all-too-brief stay in Japan. The littlest things can make me happy...

And on to South-East Asia - first stop, Bali!

1 comment:

klimt chick said...

That is so cool that the woman remembered you! Obviously you both stand out and fit in to Japanese culture! XOXO