Saturday, December 26, 2009

Chalk and cheese

Photo: Banana flower salad, served in a banana flower segment, in Siem Reap, Cambodia.

By now in my travels I've visited five South-east Asian nations, and I can certainly see many threads tying the region together, from the ancient monuments to what I saw dubbed "Hindu-Buddhism", to fried rice and fish sauce. But amidst the commonalities, there are many distinctions as well.

A few days after arriving in Thailand, I laugh at my foolish former self that could ever have confused the sound of Thai and Vietnamese. Even though I hardly know any words of Thai, there is this really evident "Thai-ness" to the sound of it that wouldn't let me mistake it for anything else, although I'm not able to pin it down. (I hear Lao is hardly differentiable from Thai so I'll wait to be tested by that).

Likewise, when I had my first bite of an eggplant salad in Bangkok, the flavours cried out "THAI!", but I'd be hard-pressed to say why. The dressing was clearly composed of lime juice, fish sauce, rau ram, dried shrimp, chile, sugar - all of which could just as easily belong in Vietnam. But in the way they were put together, in the proportions and the cooking technique, there was no doubt where the salad came from.

I'm looking forward to many more such distinctive moments....

1 comment:

Lily said...

I got hungry just reading your blog. I loved the food in Vietnam and Thailand; enjoy Laos!
Lily, (Annika'a mom)