Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Strange fruit (vu sua)

One of the many, many delights of exploring Vietnam with Vietnamese people was getting the Fruit Tour of Vietnam. I think I tried ten fruits that were totally new to me, besides luxuriating in some I'd tasted before but never as good as these (though I have to say I think I prefer Hawaiian pineapple.)

Pictured here, vu sua or milk apple (nearly every new fruit I tried in Vietnam was called something apple, except all the ones that grew on some kind of palm).

Everything is edible but the skin and the big black seeds, though the texture changes through the fruit, also depending on ripeness. Some parts were chewy and others soft and jellylike. I found it tasted like a combination of young coconut and lychee, and the opaque milky juice was also delicious.

p.s. Pardon the lack of Viet diacritics - I hate to omit them but it's too complicated to figure out how on a Thai keyboard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With or without wind chimes? ;-)