Friday, June 04, 2010

Brunch date: Fiddlehead Frittata

I love brunch. I love going out for brunch (preferably on weekdays; ah for my beloved Plateau lifestyle); and I love making it at home. For years and years I have kept going on about how I want to have regular brunch parties, since the food is so tasty and it's such a cosy relaxed meal to share with people. But in practice, life is busy and it never gets around to happening.

So, I've decided to take action by inaugurating the Stealth Brunch Party. For the last three weeks, I've made something fancy and/or exciting for brunch on Saturday mornings. It started with Mother's Day, continued when fiddleheads (my preferred augur of spring!) showed up at Granville Island market (albeit for a hairraising $10/lb), and then Maman's birthday was a further excuse. Sure enough, whether we all sat down together or people just helped themselves as they passed through the kitchen, everyone in the house eventually partook. I figure if I'm consistent enough, my brunch parties will become a reality.

So now you know - if you're in Vancouver of a Saturday, drop on by. Otherwise you can feast visually, as I plan to post photos on the blog. The idea is that the tradition marks some intersection of the practical (using up leftovers, in the way that cooked salmon from the previous night's dinner wound up in this dish) and the creative (not just brunch but original brunch is what we strive for!). We'll see how it goes, but so far, it goes tastily.

No comments: