Monday, June 07, 2010

Cake experiment

I can't believe how much I cooked last Saturday. The most complicated thing was inventing a new cake for my mother's birthday. It's shown here in an intermediate stage on Saturday night, about 14 hours after I started cooking that morning.

So far, it's a basic white cake from Joy of Cooking, brushed with a lavender syrup I made from the herbs in our garden. The cake layers are brushed with lemon-chocolate ganache and lemon curd, about to be popped into the fridge to let them set a bit before receiving their final coating of lemon buttercream.

The innovation (besides putting a square cake layer on top of two round ones, a decorating choice that was more original than successful but ah well) was mostly in the lavender syrup, since otherwise I just modified existing recipes (replacing orange with lemon). Unfortunately the lavender flavour didn't come through enough. Even though I felt like I'd saturated the cake layers thoroughly, there was room for more moisture there and that would have helped - plus it's too early and cold for there to be lavender blossoms so I just had to use the leaves which yielded a less intense flavour. What I really needed to do was make a lavender buttercream, but after all those hours in the kitchen (and with 3lbs of butter at stake) I wasn't prepared to do it without a recipe...next time.

1 comment:

klimtchick said...

What about the lavender meringues!!! Also - I thought the square on top of the circle was wildly successful and makes for very interesting views of the cut cake (or which I am about to have another piece - it has stood up well to the test of time!) Merci encore une fois ma belle fille!! XOXO