Friday, August 18, 2006

Day 15: I strike out alone again, only this time to somewhere fun!

Hayou les ami(e)s,

Today was another work day, but comme quand le patron est parti, les souris prendront vacances aussi, and because I had been so tired the day before, I worked from home. It was very nice to sleep in and to work leisurely from a reclining position - something that it's advisable to do as I can't seem to raise the seat of the desk chair AND the floor is at a considerable slope. So to sit at the desk I need to reach up like a child for a cookie jar, and clench numerous muscle groups in order to not go sliding right into the closet. Good exercise perhaps, but not exactly correct in the matter of ergonomics.

Anyhow, I benefitted from the working from home thing to go for a stroll and meet the Atomic Squid on a peaceful courtyard for a bit, but once the workday was done I determined to do something a bit more ambitious, to use up that energy that the commute hadn't devoured. So I headed out into that good evening.

In the end I decanted myself in Greenwich Village and ambled about pleasantly without really knowing where I was going, but eventually more or less orienting myself. It was rather nice I must say to be wandering around somewhere where everyone was gay - doesn't happen too often. At first it made me quite happy and then later sad, thinking how rare it is to feel safe being out and unselfconscious. But better a few places than none. And hey, not getting hit on while walking in a public place wearing summer clothes! What a treat!

My undirected ramblings ended up taking me to the hitherto unknown to me Hudson River Park, a series of little jetties protruding into the well, Hudson River. There was a beautiful sunset sinking into the less-than-beautiful Jersey skyline, it was a pleasant temperature with a cool breeze, there was some informal acoustic guitar show going on singing at that point, Mrs. Robinson. Life was good.

Back into the urbanity, I got turned around a few times (all these triangulated streets!) but ended up successfully heading into the Lower East Side and the small triangle of Japantown: destination Sunrise Market, where I could marvel at all the fancy little food packets, and buy myself a cup I would actually enjoy drinking my morning coffee from. Success: a little lime-green handleless one. Then, even though I had been going to be good and actually cook at home, I had been rambling for hours and was rather hungry, so I stopped at Otafuku for some okonomiyaki. Ah, the wonder that is Japanese street food. Mm. And so home, to the computer, and to bed. The weekend!

No comments: